Commerce contents are carefully selected by our award-winning staff. If you buy through any of our links, we may get a commission.
Does your hair look unattractive despite all your efforts? Do you want to avoid using chemicals on your hair? If yes, you should consider using xanthan gum, a food additive that you’ve probably never heard of but likely consume several times a week. It can do a lot of magic on your hair if used the right way.
This natural ingredient derived from fermented sugar is extensively used across the food, pharma, and cosmetic industries. It has managed to go unnoticed despite its addition in every haircare product.
This article examines the evidence on xanthan gum to determine whether it is beneficial for your hair. Curious to learn more about xanthan gum? Read on to learn the benefits and best hair products containing this ingredient.
What Is Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum is a popular food additive that’s commonly added to foods as a thickener, emulsifier, or stabilizer that prevents ingredients from separating. It is produce when simple sugar is fermented by a specie of bacteria called Xanthomonas campestris.
Xanthan may be able to provide moisturizing and conditioning benefits to hair and scalp by keeping oils locked in and giving you a thicker hair with breakage prevention because it is made from sugars.
Benefits of Xanthan Gum for Hair
Despite of it frequent addition in haircare ingredient list. It is the most frequently named but unnoticed natural substance. Xanthan gum functions as an emulsifier, ensuring that active ingredients work well together. It also acts as a stabilizer which causes formulations to stick together and not fall apart because it is made from sugar.
- Conditions the Hair: Much is not know about the effect of xanthan gum on hair. It moisturizes the hair, also help the scalp by keeping oil locked in to avoid dry scalp issues.
- Thickens Formulations: Xanthan gum can be use to thicken formations because it is also an emulsifier. This permit brands to create and produce even, smooth texture products with varying concentrations. The feel of a product can make all the change, as silky consistencies are often mentally associated with high quality.
- Stabilizes Hair Products: Xanthan gum addition in hair products is a molecular necessity, unlike the active ingredients. Xanthan gum often acts as a stabilizer in hair products, ensuring the formulation sticks together. The formulation might separate in-between production without xanthan gum and end up on the store shelves.
- Acts as a Natural Preservative: Xanthan gum is known as all-natural preservative, as it maintains the stability of the products and expand the shelf life. It is neither toxic nor harmful.
Hair Type Considerations
Xanthan gum is safe for all hair types and textures, as it has little to no effect on the hair or scalp. Generally, it is more beneficial to anyone with a dry scalp or dry, thin hair, as well as those with curly hair, due to its suspected ability to lock in oils. Those with naturally oily scalp may suffer from excess grease due to use of many product containing xanthan gum.
How to Use Xanthan Gum for Hair
Aside all the added effort in product formulation, xanthan gum is found in many hair products, including shampoos, conditioners, hair gels and styling serums and can’t be easily seek out on it own for hair use. It is rather found as an ingredient in many hair product. Xanthan gum is a gooey substance that makes many of your favorite hair products possible. There are many ways you will see this ingredient(xanthan gum) being used in your haircare products:
- Shampoo: Xanthan gum is found in many shampoos especially for its ability to enhance the consistency and expand the shelf life. It can serve as an excellent thickening effect even at low concentrations. It also acts as a natural preservative to maintain the freshness of the ingredients used. It is stable under both acidic and alkaline states because it is resilient to pH changes.
- Conditioner: In addition to its ability to enhance the consistency and stabilize, the moisturizing benefits of xanthan gum are an added bonus when it is found in many of your favorite hair conditioners.
- Hair Styling Products: Xanthan gum is added to many hair styling creams and hair gels to thicken the products, as well as expand the shelf life.
The Best Hair Products With Xanthan Gum
Xanthan Gum is one of the best plant-based and natural alternative that is an amazing multi-tasking ingredient, working as an emulsifier, stabilizer, binder and a natural preservative in hair products. It is also found in many hair products, including conditioners, hair gels, shampoos and styling serums. If used correctly, it can give a thicker and shinier hair providing you with immense benefits. Remember, the key is to apply the right amounts.
1. Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Hair Mask
Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treat 1 Minute Hair mask can be used as a mask or conditioner to leave your hair moisturized, soft, smooth, shiny and healthy looking.
2. Puraveda Volumizing Shampoo
Puraveda Big and Bouncy Volumizing Shampoo is sulfate free and perfect for fine hair that needs volumizing and lift.
3. Bumble and bumble Curl
Bumble and bumble’s Curl Anti-Humidity Gel-Oil is a nourishing gel-oil hybrid that adds moisture, bounce, and shine, while protecting against humidity to get the best of both worlds.
4. Grown Alchemist Detox Conditioner
Grown Alchemist’s Detox Conditioner is perfect for daily use to maintain and enhance a healthier shine, soften, detangle, and strengthen hair strands.
5. Flora & Curl Curl Defining Gel
Flora & Curl’s Sweet Hibiscus Curl Defining Gel encourages instant curls and coil formation, reduces frizz, adds slip and softness to your hair leaving each strand full of bouncy shine.
Other Personal Care Products That Contain Xanthan Gum
Surprisingly, many of your beauty products contain this ingredient. In addition to hair care products, xanthan gum can be found in products such as: