Sugaring is a hair removal technique ideal for getting rid of unwanted facial hairs and hairs from every other part of your body. Sugaring hair removal removes hair with a sticky, gel-like substance. The paste, which is made from lemon, sugar, and water, is safe, natural, and contains no chemical ingredients. It is applied to any region where undesirable hair grows and then removed in the direction of growth. It does not stick to the top layer of the skin and does not pull at live skin cells. Instead, it eliminates the hair from the root.
After the skin has been prepped, the sugar paste is molded while still slightly warm and applied to the skin against the hair growth. The dry material is then flicked off in the direction of hair development. There’s no need for fabric strips or sticks.
What Body Areas Can Be Sugared
Sugaring is suitable for sensitive skin and can be used on any part of the body (essentially, anywhere you’d wax). These are the most common areas:
- Arms: Sugaring the arms can take up to 30 minutes depending on how long the hair is (and whether or not you shave this area).
- Underarms: Your underarms can be sugared in less than five minutes by an experienced esthetician.
- Bikini/Brazilian: You can still sugar this area during your monthly cycle, but your skin may be more sensitive. This region takes about 30 to 45 minutes to sugar.
- Legs: The sugaring process may take longer for a larger area like the legs; plan on a 45-minute visit.
Keep in mind that sugaring is to be avoided if the target area has a skin condition that is already active, such as eczema or folliculitis.
How To Prep For Sugaring
- Hair must be 1/4 inches (6 mm) length. Trim your hair if it is too long. If your hairs are the proper size, you will obtain the best effects from the sugaring therapy. It normally takes approximately a week for your hair to grow out without shaving.
- Gently exfoliate the areas where unwanted hair will be removed before sugaring them.
- Ensure that your skin is clean and dry. Use no lotions, powders, or sprays.
- Do not use any skin care products on the areas you intend to sweeten.
- Avoid wearing clothing that is too tight.
- Most importantly, Don’t be afraid!
Follow these simple instructions to get the most out of your treatment: If you do not follow these instructions, you may suffer side effects, especially if you have very sensitive skin.
- Do not exfoliate the sugared area for the first 48 hours. After that, carefully exfoliate.
- Avoid showering: No baths or showers are advised for the first 24 hours after the sugaring session.
- Avoid engaging in any activity that causes excessive sweating (hot baths, workouts, sitting in a tub, Jacuzzi, sauna, or anything with high heat)
- Avoid tanning and take sun protection measures.
- When the hair from your pubic area has been removed and after your Brazilian appointment, avoid any form of irritation to the area.
- Don’t touch, tweeze, or shave the newly sugared area.48 hours after the procedure, you can continue with your regular skin care.
- Aftercare is essential for maintaining your newly sugared skin.
How Long Does Sugaring Last?
The duration of sugaring differs from person to person. It all depends on how thick your hair is and how quickly it grows back.
The results normally last three to five weeks, depending on the area and the rate at which your hair grows. The benefit of sugaring is that it might slow down hair growth over time, leaving you with less hair to sugar each time you have an appointment. In order to achieve the best results and least painful process, we advise scheduling your hair removal treatments on a regular maintenance schedule (every four to six weeks).
What is the Cost?
Sugaring is usually more expensive than waxing. The cost varies depending on which salon you visit and where you sugar.
Side Effects/ Risks
The biggest risk of sugaring is user error, others include; burning, folliculitis, bruising e.t.c. If any of the following apply to you, you should avoid having sugaring done:
- If you use retinol or vitamin C on your skin,
- If you use steroids
- If you take Accutane
- If you have rashes, swelling, open sores, a sunburn, or cold sores.
These are the most important factors to consider, although there are other problems that might preclude you from sugaring. Before trying a new treatment, as usual, ensure to consult your dermatologist.