The Lost Ark Error code 23 means that a game client encountered an application error when trying to launch the Lost Ark game on your PC or console. Lost Ark is an FTP multiplayer online action role-playing game played by millions of gamers across the globe.
The Lost Ark error code 23 usually comes with this message:
Couldn’t start the game
Error Code: 23 (Game client encountered an application error. (Error Code: 23))
This error is mostly associated with your Easy Anti Cheat engine, but there can be other reasons that cause the error. This article discusses causes and solutions for the lost ark error code 23
What causes the Lost Ark error code 23?
The following can trigger the lost ark error code 23:
- Corrupted game files.
- Easy Anti-Cheat engine is corrupted.
- corrupted Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package on your system.
- outdated graphics drivers.
- corrupted temporary and prefetch files.
- If the installation of the Lost Ark game is gone corrupted, this error occurs.
How to fix the Lost Ark Error Code 23
#1. Reboot your computer system
Something as basic as rebooting the computer system can help you fix the Lost Ark error code 23; because little glitches in the system can attract such errors. So reboot your system and try launching the game again. Simply exit the game, restart your PC, and launch the game again. If it does not work, there are more fixes to try out.
#2. Repair Easy Anti-Cheat
The Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) is a program developed by Epic Games that is often installed along with a supported game to prevents cheaters from abusing the game, and exploiting it to their advantage. So if Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) engine is corrupted, you might face the Lost Ark error code 23. Try repairing Easy Anti-Cheat and see if it fixes the error.
- Launch Steam and go to LIBRARY.
- Right-click on the Lost Ark game.
- Click on Manage.
- Browse local files option to open up the game installation directory on your system.
- Right-click on the EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe file to open the EasyAntiCheat folder.
- Next choose the Run as Administrator option from the appeared context menu.
- Choose the Lost Ark game on the setup screen and click the Repair Service option to start repairing EAC.
- After that, restart your PC.
Then relaunch Steam and open Lost Ark to check whether the error code 23 is fixed.
#3. Verify/repair game files
If the game files are missing or corrupted, then you will most definitely experience this error.
The damaged game files can be fixed using a dedicated feature available on Steam. If this is the reason for the error, simply verify the integrity of the game files and then try re-launching Lost Ark.
How to verify game files on Steam:
- Launch Steam.
- Click on the LIBRARY menu.
- Find the Lost Ark game, then right-click on the game title.
- Select the Properties option from the drop down menu.
- Go to the Local Files tab.
- Select the Verify integrity of game files button.
- Wait for the verification process to complete.
Once the verification process is complete, relaunch the game to see if the error is now fixed.
#4. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
A corrupt Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package can cause this error when you need to play the game. If that is the case, repair the package and see if the error is fixed.
Follow the steps below to repair Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable on Windows PC:
- Press the Windows + I hotkey to launch the Settings app.
- Then navigate to the Apps and select Apps & features section.
- You will see a list of installed apps, scroll down and locate the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Tap the three-dot menu button at the top.
- Select the Modify option next and then click on the Repair button.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the repair process.
After that reboot your PC to let the effects take place and check if the error is fixed.
#5. Delete temporary files and prefetch files.
There are too many junk and temporary files accumulated on your system that can cause this error. Therefore you have to clear the temporary files to fix the error. Additionally, clear the Prefetch folder that stores cached data on how software works.
Here’s how to:
- Click Windows + R hotkey to open the Run dialog .
- Enter %temp% in its Open field which directs you to the Temp directory in File Explorer.
- Click Ctrl + A to select all the folders and tap the Delete button to delete all the temporary files.
- Proceed to prefetch in the Run dialog box to open up the Prefetch folder.
- Repeat the third step to clear all prefetch files.
Reboot your system and relaunch the game to see If this method solves the error.
6. Update graphics drivers
This error could be facilitated due to outdated or faulty graphics drivers, this method should work for you. Use the settings app or device manager app to manually update the graphics driver. Or go to the official website of the device manufacturer and look for the most recent version of your graphic driver. Download and install the new graphics driver on your PC.
Also a free third-party driver updater can also update your outdated drivers including graphics drivers.
Once you have updated your graphics drivers, restart your system, and then open the game to check if the error code 23 on Lost Ark is fixed now.
7. Reinstall the Lost Ark Game
This error could be caused by a corrupted installation of the Lost Ark game. In that case, you have to uninstall the game and then reinstall it to get rid of the error.
- Start up Steam.
- Go to LIBRARY.
- Right-click on Lost Ark.
- Select the Manage.
- Select Uninstall option.
- Complete the uninstallation process, follow the onscreen prompt to do so.
- Then reinstall Lost Ark on Steam.
These few methods will help you fix the “lost ark error code 23”.
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 3 years since I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.