Asides from buying games on Oculus Quest , there are other free games available for games to play. You can get them on the Quest store, the mobile app or the App lab.
This article gives all the details on how to get free games on Meta (Oculus) Quest/ Quest 2 through these different methods.
How to get free games on Meta (Oculus) Quest/Quest 2 through the Quest store
The Quest store has a number of free and enjoyable games like Horizon World’s, VR chat, Elixir, Echo VR, etc. You can pick them up through the store front on your headset when you are in VR.
Included is a number of filtering options including a price filter which allows you narrow your search down to free games.
- Press the Oculus button on the right controller.
- Open the Toolbar.
- Select the shopping bag icon which represents the store.
- Go to the Filter section > Select Pricing.
- Select Free.
- Scroll through and select the available games.
- Select a game and Select Get.
- The game will queue for download and will be available in your app library after downloading.
How to get free games on Meta (Oculus) Quest/Quest 2 from the mobile app
You can obtain a free game through the app, it will queue up for download automatically on your connected headset. Next time your Quest is on and connected to Wi-Fi, the game will download.
Check and ensure Quest and Quest 2 is in the upper left corner of the app. If not, tap the headset shown and and select Quest/ Quest 2 before going further so you don’t download games to the wrong device .
On the mobile app > Go to store > Go to the filter icon in the bottom right corner > Select Pricing > Free > swipe Filter menu to the right and dismiss it > Scroll through the free games > Tap a game and click Get > The game will queue up for download and installation on the Quest 2 headset.
How to get free games on Meta (Oculus) Quest/Quest 2 through the app lab
The App lab is an official program from Meta that allows creators to get their games on the Quest abs Quest 2; without going through the traditional process.
Getting to the Quest store can be time consuming, so creators can get games faster and for free; even though quality might vary.
App lab games are available in the Quest 2 website. However there is no official list of the App lab games.
The unofficial Side Quest website allows your search through a larger section of games and directs you to the official quest store to download them.
- Navigate to Side Quest website and click Games.
- Click App lab.
- Click a game you Like. Note that all Games are not free, look for games that says free in the bottom right corner.
- Select Download App(Oculus) and click OK.
- You will be taken to the Oculus store then click Ok to proceed.
- If you have not signed in, then you need to sign in using the same account with your Quest.
- Click Get.
- The game will queue up for download and will be available in your library.
Is Minecraft VR free on Meta Quest?
Yes. If you already own the Bedrock or Java version of the game . To play Minecraft VR for free on Meta Quest you will need a VR-ready PC and a cable.
How do I install Side Quest?
Go to Settings > General > Turn on Unknown sources > Enable Developer Mode > Install Side Quest on PC and transfer custom files to your Quest 2.
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 3 years since I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.