Miro is a cloud-based digital whiteboard that serves as a collaboration tool, allowing teams to work together in real-time on a shared canvas virtually. This tool is highly utilized by small or large firms, as well as teams that work remotely. They can use it for research, brainstorming, building customer journeys, mapping out story maps, and any other activity that requires collaboration.
In This Article
Overview of Miro Board
Miro is not just a cloud-based digital whiteboard, it is a tool that aids collaboration among teams where they can present and work on projects together. On Miro there is an infinite number of shared whiteboard spaces, providing a synchronous and asynchronous drawing, brain-storming, and file-sharing space for users.
One can use Miro for team management. New members can join using their email address where they can create a project using the “+ Add boards” and use the “+Add Member” button to add members to a project. To create a board click on the “+ New Board” button. Use the dropdown menu to manage the board already created, then you can share, view, and edit your board from here.
Features of Miro Board
Miro has numerous features, they include:
- Drawing and Writing Tools: On the Miro digital whiteboard, up to 50M users can create mockups and schemes, write down their ideas, and leave comments on other members’ input.
- Template and Frameworks: There are preloaded templates one can use to create their board which they can convert into a presentation slide or save as a PDF. It houses templates that include everything you need to collaborate with others and increase your productivity level.
- Integrations and Plugins: Miro has an integrated library of icons, wireframes, and other content users can utilize to create their content. In addition, users can also upload files, images, and documents from their computer or Google Drive to the board. Miro can integrate effectively with other virtual working tools, such as Google Drive, Slack, Asana, Trello, Survey Monkey, Hopin, etc.
- Miro for Education: Miro makes it easier for students to collaborate with other students. Students and teachers can use Miro to aid the learning process. With Miro, you have access to whiteboards, modular desks, etc. Users can add other activities/sections, add images and documents, add hyperlinks, etc. that are beneficial to the learning process. On Miro students and teachers can share ideas and conversations, all of the ideas and connections are retained in the Miro board so one can return to these ideas later on.
- Miro Pricing: Miro’s price is fair as they offer a premium plan starting from $10 per user per month. This plan comes with a free Miro account, 3 editable boards, and unlimited team members. The paid premium plan has extra features such as unlimited boards, private board sharing, unlimited external board viewers and commenters, advanced attention management, custom templates, Single Sign-On, and integrations to your other tools. You can choose to use Miro for free but it has fewer features.
- With Miro, you can work in tandem with your team in real-time with no glitches. This will enable effective collaboration and success of the project being worked on.
- There is an option to share your board with others and receive feedback, you can also react to another person’s board, ask questions, add comments, and keep track of these comments by resolving them.
- The tagging feature allows you to notify team members of a post on the board, you can tag them via their email ID.
- The emoji option in the Apps window allows you to place an emoji anywhere on the board to make collaboration more fun.
- Miro for Business: Business owners can utilize Miro to aid their business. You can use the digital boards to present different business ideas and brainstorm on them together with your team. Also, you can manage your team members. They can join using their email address and you can allow them to create a board by going to Team settings. As the team admin, you can remove team members anytime you want.
Getting Started with Miro Board
You can download the Miro app on your desktop, mobile, and tablet. Or navigate through the cloud. The app versions offer limited features on mobile. Either use the cloud version or download the Miro Window/Mac OS version to your desktop.
After downloading, process to register and create a profile, follow these steps to do so:
- Open the app on your device.
- Enter the information required.
- Click on ‘Get started’ now.
- A new page will open, and as a free user, you are allowed to create and edit three boards.
- Enter the confirmation code sent to your email address for verification.
- Give more details to set up the software for a more customized experience.
- After setting up your profile, proceed to set up a team in Miro.
- Invite teammates to start collaborating and select the area of focus. You can start from a blank canvas.
Collaboration on Miro Board
- Inviting Team Members: To collaborate with others, you have to first invite your team members. Go to Team settings from there you can invite new members or add them via their email addresses.
- Real-Time Collaboration: You can create an easy-to-share whiteboard and invite other members to join you. You can add images, links, and documents that can help your brain-storming session.
- Commenting and Communication: There is an option to share your board with others and receive feedback, you can also react to another person’s board, ask questions, add comments, and keep track of these comments by resolving them.
How to Create a Board on Miro Board
A board is what you will commonly use on Miro. It is a blank canvas you can add different features to:
- Log in to Miro and click the New Board option.
- Click the Create a shared board option.
- Select a template or start with a blank board.
On the empty board, select your preferred frame type or size from the available options. Frames are what you use to demarcate areas on the board, structure, and manage content.
On your custom frame, you can add sticky notes, mind maps, text, or videos to it. When you have multiple frames on a board, you can zoom out to view all of them together.
How to Connect with Other Apps and Integrate Plugins on Miro Board
You can connect other apps to the Miro board for effective collaborative sessions. There are different apps supported by Miro you can use to enhance your experience. The collection of apps you can integrate with is found in the Marketplace option, then click the Get more apps option to add them to Miro. you can also add plugins.
Note: this feature is not available for free users. The apps will be marked with a Red lock icon to indicate it’s unavailability.
Using Miro’s APIs, SDK, or iFrame you can embed your Miro content on websites and blogs.
Using Kanban in Miro
Kanban is a popular framework used to implement DevOps software development. To use Kanban;
- Find the Kanban tool icon located on the left toolbar, and click on Apps.
- Then Click on the plus icon inside your Kanban board. Double-click on the card heading to rename and fill out additional information like assignee and due dates.
- Move the cards to enable you to keep track of your progress and easily spot any issue.
Mind Mapping with Miro Board
Miro has some Mind Mapping Templates to help you and your teams put all your ideas in one place and aid collaboration. Utilize these templates and have a great brain-storming session with your team.
Pros and Cons of Miro Board
- Miro makes communicating with your team members effective and coordinated. The user interface is easy to navigate even for a newbie.
- There are templates, drawing tools, and visualization tools like graphs and charts, you can bank on to create something of your own.
- Apart from the fact that one has to pay to use the board and all its beautiful features. There is really no con to using Miro as everything seems to work out perfectly. Be rest assured you are getting value for your money.
How to Access Miro Support Resources
Miro provides free customer support resources to all their users to make their whiteboarding journey easy. The Miro Community is available as it is a place where Miro users help each other, share the best ways Miro has benefited them, and discuss solutions to any kind of issues other users might have.
Paid Miro subscribers can contact Miro Support through a special form within the product. You can also submit a support request via the email address on the Miro invoice
To contact Miro Support from your dashboard:
- If you belong to a team, switch to the paid team on the left sidebar of your dashboard or open the board in a paid team.
- Proceed to open the Learning Center on the dashboard by clicking the question icon in the top-right corner
- A pop-up will enable you to click on Contact Support.
- The contact form will then come up. You need to specify your email address and share more context on your request.
- Then submit a request from the dashboard of a paid team or a board that belongs to it.
If you use the Mobile app:
- Press the team icon in the top-left corner.
- Select Help.
- Remember to switch to a paid team if you’re a member of multiple teams.
Before you go…
Miro is a very effective collaborative tool for brainstorming, sharing ideas, and mind mapping with your team. It is amongst one of the best digital whiteboards out there. Read the next post Miro vs. Jamboard: Which is a better whiteboard?
How does Miro’s pricing structure work for different team sizes?
On Miro with the free plan, you can invite many people who can access all the boards. However, the number of editable boards on the Free plan is limited.
The Starter plan accommodates teams with up to 50 users, and access to all basic paid features like unlimited editable and private boards, advanced tools and integrations, board sharing, etc.
The Miro Business plan on the other hand accommodates multiple teams and has all the features in the Starter plan. Additionally, guest team members can edit the board, and there are other advanced shape packs + SSO in the business plan.
Can Miro be used for creating mind maps and visualizing ideas?
Yes, the Miro digital whiteboard allows team members to visualize their ideas by adding a document, a file, images, links, basically anything that helps them present their ideas on the board. There are also several mind-mapping templates available on the Miro board which teams can utilize for their brain-storming sessions.
Is there a downloadable version of Miro available for Windows 10?
Yes, Miro board is available for all devices.
What career opportunities are available for Miro for Professionals?
The career opportunities available for Miro professionals include but not limited to; Content Management, Customer Experience, Engineering, Finance and Analytics, Marketing, Product Management, Revenue Operations, etc..
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 3 years since I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.