The Chrome error code 00005 (error 5) is also known as the runtime error, because it happens during the execution of a program. The causes of Google Chrome error code 00005 comes from missing or corrupt files, and virus infections, most especially, Chrome Error 00005 comes from corrupted registry key.
Causes of Chrome error code 00005
The Chrome error code 00005 indicates malware or virus was suspected to be the cause as at then. The Chrome error code 00005 now generally indicates a problem with Chrome’s source code and happens mostly during the startup phase. Here are reasons for the Chrome error code 00005:
- It can be caused by a logic error: This occurs when a software receives the correct input but produces the incorrect output because there is a vulnerability in the source code of Google Inc.’s information processing system.
- A bug in the software’s code: Logic errors can happen during the development process, thus resulting in a runtime error.
- It can be caused by a Chrome crash: Inputs cannot be received when there is a Chrome crash.
- Memory leak: when there is a web memory leak it can result in a malfunctioning operating system.
- Bad code executing an infinite loop.
- There is a missing or deleted file or a file has been accidentally moved from the Google Chrome installation location.
- It can be caused by an invalid configuration or setting within Chrome itself.
- Problem with hardware and drivers.
This error comes in different variations, including:
- Chrome crash error code 5.
- Cypress chrome error code 5.
- Chrome error code 5 on Mac.
- Chrome error code 5 React.
How to fix Chrome error code 5
#1. Update Chrome browser
One way to troubleshoot this error is to update the Chrome browser, this is because developers consider users’ reports and provide solutions in the form of new software updates. When you install a new update, it has a way of fixing the error.
Here is how to update Chrome browser:
- Launch Google Chrome on your device.
- Click on the three-dot menu from the top-right side.
- Then hover over the Help option and choose About Google.
- If your version is not up-to-date, you will be able to click on the Update button. If not, the update button will be missing.
Updating also fixes other error codes that might arise as well.
#2. Reset Chrome browser
Another way to fix this is to reset your Chrome browser.
Here is how to reset Chrome browser:
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Tap the menu icon.
- Select the Settings option.
- Click on reset on the left pane and clean up
- Then click on ‘Restore settings to their original defaults’
- Finally, click the Reset Settings button.
- Restart browser.
Resetting will clear up any problems caused by corrupted or incorrect files. You can close all of your open Chrome windows, re-open them one at a time with administrator privileges. This will also effectively reset any corrupt settings causing the issue.
#3. Uninstall and Re-download Chrome
Here is how to uninstall and reinstall Chrome:
- First open Settings tab.
- Navigate to Apps followed by Apps & features.
- Type in Chrome in the search bar, click the three-dot menu and select Uninstall
- Go to Google Chrome’s website where you can re-download Chrome by hitting the Download Chrome button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installation, then run the browser
- Reboot system and try using Chrome again.
#4. Update Hardware or Drivers
Your hardware or drivers might be causing this error code 5 on Chrome. Check for updates and make sure you update them as needed.
#5. Clear Browser Cache
Clearing your Chrome browser cache can go a long way in fixing this error.
To clear your browser cache for Chrome:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Privacy & Security.
- Select Clear Browsing Data from the options on display.
- A new page with more specific settings will appear.
- Select Cached Images and Files.
- Hit the Clear Data button at the bottom of the screen and wait for a few seconds
- Once completed, restart Chrome and see if the problem persists
If all these methods fail, you can seek help from professionals who specialize in online tech support services like this.
What other browsers can replace Chrome
There are a myriad of web browsers out there you can use for your browsing purposes. Example: Safari, Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge.
Tip: You can avoid the chrome error code 5 (00005) if you regularly update your Chrome browser.
You needs to take extra precautions when browsing online and downloading files from unknown sources. This is because viruses and malware can hide inside harmless links and downloads to cause problems like the Chrome error code 5 later on.
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 2 years+ I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.