Instagram has a feature introduced in 2013 known as Instagram direct, with Instagram direct, users can send a direct message (DM) to other Instagram users whether they follow each other or not.
How to send an Instagram direct message
You want to send a direct message to someone on Instagram, here’s how to:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Log in or sign up if you haven’t.
- Click on the paper plane icon at the top right hand corner. This takes you straight to Instagram direct.
- Find the person you want to send a message to from your Instagram list or search their name.
- Type in your message when you click the message box. You can also send images, videos, GIFs which you can do when you click the icon next to Send button.
- Press the Send button to send your message across to the recipient.
How to send a direct message to a non follower
If it is a non-follower you want to send a direct message to:
- Visit the follower’s profile by searching them on Instagram.
- Select the message option in the middle of this profile page.
- Type in your message and hit the Send button.
How to send direct message to a group conversation
Also,you can send a direct message to a group conversation on Instagram, here’s how to:
- Go to the right side of your feed and tap the paper plane icon at the top right corner.
- Click the paper and pencil icon at the top right side of Instagram direct page to send a new message.
- Select the people you want to send a message to, this makes the conversation a group conversation.
- Tap the message box, type in your message . You can add pictures videos,and GIFs if you click the icon close to Send button.
- Click send to pass the message across.
How to know if someone read your message on Instagram
You might have send some direct messages to someone on Instagram, to know if they read it:
- Click the paper plane icon on the home screen located at the top right corner of your screen.
- It leads you to Instagram direct where you can see the messages you have sent.
- Tap the message and check it’s read receipt; if it shows SEEN the person has read the message.
- If it’s a group, just go to the group you sent a group message to. The username of members who have read the message will appear next to SEEN.
Tip: You will not see read receipt of private account users who gave not accepted your follow request. A private account can decline your follow request and Instagram wont notify you, so check again and be sure you message got across to them.
Can someone see if I read their message multiple times?
No, there is only one read receipt which appears when you read the other party’s message.
Will someone know if I deleted a message?
Press and hold the message you are sending, you will see the option to unsend it if you do it on time before the recipient reads it. If they have read it, you can still delete it and they won’t see it anymore.
Can I turn off read receipts on Instagram?
No, but the only option you have is to read message without alerting the sender is to switch your phone into Airplane mode. Switch you phone to airplane mode and then open the message you want to read.
This article was first published on October 13, 2022 8:04 p.m. WAT
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 3 years since I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.