The Apple watch with all its beauty is not without faults. This article answers the question “Why is my Apple watch upside down?” and proffers quick solutions to fix it.
If you notice your Apple Watch is displaying upside down, then there is a glitch somewhere. An upside-down watch display means the watch orientation is set differently, this is not good because it takes most of the utility out of the device. An upside-down Apple Watch display also occurs due to a software setting.
How to fix Apple watch upside down display
Here are methods to apply and fix the upside down display.
#1. Check the watch app settings on your iPhone
Your watch orientation setting might be incorrect.
- Go to iPhone’s Watch app.
- Navigate to General.
- Tap Watch Orientation and choose the correct wrist and digital crown position.
If the settings are fine after checking, try switching to other options and switch back.
The Apple Watch uses a screen, not a pre-printed watch face. You can simply change the screen to accommodate the upside down display, if you want to wear the watch with the digital crown on a different side than how it is originally.
You can also change the watch face to see if that helps.
To change your watch face on the watch itself:
- Tap and hold the screen until the watch face tiles appear.
- Swipe to see all available watch faces.
- Tap one to select and switch your watch face.
- Tap the plus sign (+).Apple Watch to add a new watch face.
To change your watch face using your iPhone’s Watch app:
- Open the Watch app.
- Navigate to the My Watch tab.
- Under My Faces, tap a watch face you want.
- Set any options and complications you want for the preferred watch face.
- Tap on Set as current Watch Face.
#2. Restart your Apple watch
Restarting can fix this issue instantly.
- Hold the Side button of your Apple watch until the Power Off switch appears.
- Swipe right to turn off the device.
- Wait 30 seconds, and then press and hold the Side button again to turn on the Apple Watch.
A hard restart also helps:
- Hold the Side Button and Digital Crown simultaneously for a few seconds.
- When the Apple logo appears on the screen, release the buttons and let the watch start up.
#3. Modify settings on your Apple watch
You have to modify the settings on your Apple watch and change the orientation to one which you prefer. This is for those who want a different display on their watch.
- Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch which opens the Apps screen.
- Select Settings > General > Orientation.
#4. Update the Apple watch system software
Apple Watch needs software updates from time to time, else it misbehaves.
- In the Watch app for iOS, go to General.
- Select Software Update to see if a new version of watchOS is available.
- Follow the on-screen directions to install a new update.
5. Reset the Apple watch to factory settings
If the problem still persists, do a complete reset of the watch. This deletes your Apple Watch data and returns the settings to their defaults. There is a backup from where you can restore the backup.
Go to General in the Watch app > Reset by following the prompts.
You can also use the Watch like that with the upside display, but you will not get accurate readings if you use it that way.
Can I wear my Apple watch upside down?
Yes. Just take the band off your Apple Watch and put it back together so that the digital crown is facing the opposite direction. Proceed to flip the screen orientation thus: go to Settings > General > Orientation.
Why should I wear my Apple watch upside down?
Changing which side the digital crown is on is also beneficial. It helps prevent you from accidentally pressing the button while doing push ups during workouts. It also lets you more easily control the crown with your thumb during workout sessions. Some people on the other hand might just prefer it that way.
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 3 years since I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.