Amazon Firestick is a Bluetooth remote controller that has voice support. It’s one of the popular Alexa devices widely used across the globe, users love it for its sleek and minimalistic design.
Your Firestick is connected to Alexa app and cannot function without the app. But you might want to remove Firestick sometimes, especially if you notice it’s malfunctioning.
Although Firestick was built to last, a malfunction is still inevitable. If this happens, a factory reset usually brings it back to normalcy. If not, then you need to replace a malfunctioning Firestick device.
However before replacing your Firestick, look out first for these things; they might be the reason your Firestick is malfunctioning:
- Battery: Your Firestick device is powered by AAA batteries which are not rechargeable. These batteries can expire at some point and your Firestick will stop functioning, if you don’t know you might end up replacing a device that just needs new batteries.
Check if the batteries have run out, then buy new AAA batteries. Open the back cover of the Firestick remote and replace the batteries. Now check if the remote is working.
- Obstruction: The Firestick is a Bluetooth remote that works better than the regular IR remote. Firestick remote does not necessarily have to be in the direct line of sight of your TV; but obstructions can still stop it from functioning properly.
Just rearrange the room and remove obstacles that can prevent the remote from functioning.
- Do a factory Reset: Your Firestick can get overladen with an increasing amount of data as you go on to use the device. Performing a factory reset can help you clear the backlog of data and fix the issue of your Firestick remote malfunctioning.
Go to Settings > Device > Scroll down and click Reset to Defaults > Enter your PIN and wait for the reset to finish.
How to Remove Firestick from Alexa App
If after all said and done you still need to replace Firestick, then you need to remove the old one first before adding a new device to the Alexa App. You have to first deregister the device from the list of all Alexa devices in the App.
- Open Alexa mobile app
- Navigate to the menu on the left
- Select Settings. On the Settings list, you will find a list of devices connected to Alexa app
- Select the Firestick device by clicking Deregister on the right side
- Confirm your actions and your device will be removed
But if you have purchased a non official version of Firestick, you will not find the Deregister option. So use another approach to remove the device;
- Visit Amazon
- Log in your account
- Navigate to Account and Lists
- Select Manage Your Content and Devices
- Click your Device to open the tab
- Locate the three dot button on the left side of each listed device
- Click the button and select Deregister
- Then confirm action
Remove Smart Home Devices
Sometimes Firestick may be in the smart home tab on the Amazon app so you have to remove it from there.
- Open Alexa app
- Click the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner
- Go to Smart Home
- Scroll till you find the Firestick device
- Click on it then go to the upper right corner of the menu and select Edit
- Tick the Trash icon in the upper menu
- Then confirm
- It is now successful, the Firestick device has been removed from the Alexa app
These few methods will help you remove an old Firestick device so that you can add a new one. If you have to replace your Firestick when it malfunctions.
This article was first published on October 14, 2022 8:00 p.m. WAT
I am an experienced tech and innovation writer. It’s been 3 years since I started writing at Terecle, covering mostly Consumer electronics and Productivity. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and learning the latest happenings around the tech ecosystem.