Group messaging is one of the easiest ways to get our messages across to a large number of people at once and within a shorter period of time. They receive the messages at the same time and it saves the sender lots of time and energy that would have been used to send one by one .
But, overtime things could go sour and you might end up with a troll or unwanted contact in a group text. This article helps you know how to remove someone from a group text on your Android, iPhone and on your computer.
How To Remove Someone From A Group Text On iPhone
iMessage is the Apple feature on your iPhone or Mac which enables you the user that allows you add someone to a group text message of four or more people provided they are all Apple users. What qualifies anyone to be a participant in an iMessage text group is that they are Apple users, you cannot add someone who is not an Apple user to an iMessage group text.
You need four or more people in an iMessage group text to be able to remove someone from group text. You will only get to see the “Remove option” once people in the group are up to four.
Also if there is a contact using SMS messaging which is different from iMessaging , it means someone is using a non Apple device.
To be able to add someone on an iMessage group text;
- Tap the group message you want to add someone to
- Tap the group icons at the top of the thread/iMessage group
- Tap the gray arrow icon that displays the info icon ℹ️ to the right of the contact, then tap add contact.
- Type the contact you want to add then tap done.
To remove someone from a group text on iPhone
- Tap the group message that has the contact you want to remove
- Click on the group icons at the top of the thread
- Tap on the gray arrow icon which is also the info icon ‘i’ to the right of the contacts
- Simply swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
- Click on remove when pop up comes up, then click done .
- If the remove option does not show, start a new thread without the unwanted contact. They won’t receive any new messages if you send the text to the new group. But the chat history will remain.
This is how you remove someone from a group text on iPhone. They will not get any notifications that they have been removed, they will still see previous messages but can’t see new ones.
How To Remove Someone From A Group Text On Android
This is quite easy to do;
- Simply go to the Gmail app
- Select the group text that has the person you want to remove
- At the top next to the group conversation name, click on the right arrow which leads you to start a new chat
- Add or remove people from the existing group text
- Add people by entering their names OR under frequent, tap on any suggestions displayed
- To remove people, click on their name and delete
- Tap done to confirm
Another alternative ;
- Go to Messaging app
- Click group text you want to open
- Tap on the three vertical dots icon on the upper right of the group text
- Go to Add/remove people and click on it.
- A menu will appear, when it appears, type in the search box the name of the person.
- Once you see the person’s name, tap the contact to remove the check mark before it. This removes the person.
- Click on done button for confirmation
How To Remove Someone From A Group Text On Your Computer
On your computer;
- Go to the Google chat Gmail account
- Under chat by the left, click on group message that has the person you want to remove
- At the top next to the group conversation, click on the down arrow or
- Click on more options
- Click on add people and bots to add names of people or Email address of who you want to add and click send
- To remove someone from the conversation, go to the top
- Next to the conversation name click the down arrow or more options to view members
- There is a three dots next to their names click on it, then tap on remove from space
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I delete the entire group?
Yes, but you can start a new chat that excludes the contact you want to remove. You can remove yourself from the old one and create a new one and add everybody except the unwanted contact.
Will the group messages be deleted when you leave a group text?
No, you will only be removed but the chat history still remains.
Will the contact you remove know they have been removed?
No, they will not receive any notifications. They will only know if you tell them.
How can I delete a group text?
Tap the three vertical dots icon . Press delete group. Two options will be available, either the entire group will be deleted or delete only group members contacts .
Group texts are very helpful for disbursing information faster, but it’s important your remove people who are unwanted contacts, maybe because they have gone against the group’s rules and regulations. Or if you mistakenly added a contact you shouldn’t add to the group text. These guidelines will help you remove them from either android,, iPhone, iPad, or computer.